Well, we've just finished our first week in Beta and I'm absolutely thrilled at the response so far. There are about 40 people idling in Discord and sadly just 2 in IRC. Oh well.
Exactly as planned, beta testing turned up quite a few bugs of varying severity. I'm pleased to report nobody's found a bug that has a security impact (i.e. gain privileges or crash the server). I've expanded my TODO list greatly, and also mashed a few bugs, including but not limited to:
- Items in Battle Royale now spawn pre-identified
- Battle Royale now tells you which way to go if you're outside the poison field taking damage
- Attempting to join Battle Royale will now give the player an indication of when the next game will start
- A few of the lesser-used skills now gain past 100 (whoops)
- Cleaned up some debug console spam
- Blacksmiths buy coloured ore and logs
- A bunch of other minor bugs too numerous to list here
On my list of "known bugs" are (among others):
- The game needs a "sell all" command
- Lumberjacking doesn't work (this one is weird because I feel like I must have erased some changes I made previously)
- Ore and gold are really heavy
- The crafting gump doesn't show you how much ore you have except for Iron
On these last three, I would like to point out that I'm specifically testing PVP at this time. I'm noting all the bugs down but we're going to do a dedicated crafting blitz in a week or two. Part of the reason we're not working on this yet is because Daleron is busy hacking away at a minimalist client updater, so that we can update e.g. the cliloc strings (required to fix the crafting gump) without making people re-download 1.3 GB of data. I'll get him to do a guest blog about his updater when it's released.
In the meantime, I've been seeing great activity in fits and starts, and watching groups of 4 get pwn3d by the balron has been hilarious. Looking forward to clearing out a bunch of bugs so that I can get going on adding content.
Future plans include (in no particular order):
- AOS Custom Housing
- Sprucing up some of the less-used skills
- Thief and Bard overhaul
- Smooth boat movement
- Going "1.0"!
- Open-sourcing the server code
See you soon!